News

South jetty rocks to be accessible Memorial Day weekend

Although extensive repairs to the south jetty aren’t complete yet, the contractor will open the jetty to the public for Memorial Day weekend, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE). The contractor is scheduled to pour concrete today (Thursday, May 27) to cover some areas that would be a hazard to the public otherwise, said Lynda Yezzi, chief […]

Council disagrees on appointment

Could the Port Aransas City Council remain a six-member body for several more months? It was looking like a definite possibility at deadline for this edition of the South Jetty, but it was a fluid situation. Meeting on Thursday, May 20, the council was unable to agree on whom to appoint to fill Place 2. The seat became vacant after […]

Above-normal hurricane season predicted

While last year’s record setting hurricane season is not expected to be repeated this year, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season for 2021. Forecasters predict a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season, according to NOAA (National Oceanic […]

County property sale on hold

Plans to auction off a piece of county-owned property in Port Aransas have been put on hold. Nueces County Precinct 4 Commissioner Brent Chesney earlier talked about possibly auctioning the empty lot in the 400 block of North Alister Street. However, he said he has “paused all activity” having to do with the property at the request of the City […]

CCRTA express to Port A to re-start

Good news for Port Aransas workers who live off Mustang Island – an option for transportation to the island will re-start on Friday, May 28. The Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority is announcing the return of its Route 95 Port A Express. The route will return as a program from Corpus Christi with stops in Ingleside and Aransas Pass, seven […]

They’ve got pull

Port Aransas High School students play a game of tug-of-war during Field Day on Friday, May 21. Field Day was one of several end-of-year events enjoyed recently by Port Aransas ISD students. (See Page 1B for more.) Subscribe Purchase Single Issue The full version of this story will be available to all readers after 2 weeks. Full versions of news stories from […]

Museum hours to change for Saturday

Cliff Strain, director of the Port Aransas Museum, has announced special hours for Saturday, May 22. The museum will be open from noon to 1:30 p.m. It will then close for a few hours so museum folks can attend a memorial for Barbara Behrens, a long-time Port Aransas resident who died recently. Bill Behrens, Barbara’s husband, is a board member […]

NWS monitoring area of disturbed weather

An area of disturbed weather in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico that has a 40 percent chance of development is being monitored by the National Weather Service. If it strengthens into a tropical system, the system may impact locations anywhere along the Texas coast from the mouth of the Rio Grande to the Texas – Louisiana border, according to a […]

Rain slamming Port Aransas; nearby highways remain open

While Port Aransas is being pounded by rain today (Wednesday, May 19), police hadn’t reported any major weather-related incidents yet as of noon. Port Aransas remained under a flash flood watch as of 12:45 p.m., and the watch was expected to continue through Thursday, according to the National Weather Service Office in Corpus Christi. Standing water is reaching across the […]

Stretch!

Folks reach for the sky during a yoga class held at the beach, on the south side of Horace Caldwell Pier, on a recent day. Yoga sessions on the beach are sponsored by the Port Aransas Parks and Recreation Department. Subscribe Purchase Single Issue The full version of this story will be available to all readers after 2 weeks. Full versions of […]

Water works

If you want to pay your water bill in person, you’re going to get a gander at a brand-new, $6 million building in Port Aransas. Located at 1812 State Highway 361, the recently completed headquarters building of Nueces County Water Control and Improvement District No. 4 began receiving customers a couple of weeks ago. “We’ve got some small issues left […]

Development planned for Old Town lots

Plans are being laid for a sizeable development in one of the most high-visibility parts of the Old Town area of Port Aransas. The business development is envisioned for several side-by-side lots that form a “U” shape extending along the south side of Cotter Avenue to Alister Street, the west side of Alister Street and the north side of White […]

Power outages could take place today in Port Aransas

Weather permitting, AEP Texas will make improvements to its power system in the Port Aransas area today (Monday, May 17 through Wednesday, May 19, according to a news release issued by the electric utility. Ten to 12 crews will be in the area, replacing insulators on 69 utility poles.  In some cases, crews also will be replacing cross arms. Crews […]

Vet funding ends June 30

Veterans, take note: Here’s a financial assistance option that’s available now, but not for a whole lot longer. Nueces County has grant money available that provides eligible veterans, dependents and surviving spouses with financial assistance for utilities, rent, mortgage, food and transportation, according to a news release issued by the county on Thursday, May 6. The money comes from the […]

Highway clean-up is Saturday

Folks are invited to join an Adopt-a-Highway cleanup on Sunday, May 16, sponsored by Keep Port Aransas Beautiful and Marlins United. Meet at the CVS parking lot at the corner of State Highway 361 (Alister Street) and Avenue G at 1 p.m. to get assignments. To register, go to https:// www.signupgenius.com/ go/9040849ABAA2AABFB6 apopt. The cleanup will cover the area on […]

Shrimp season ends Saturday

Folks won’t be able to buy fresh shrimp off the boat for a while. Commercial shrimp season, both in Texas and federal waters will close 30 minutes after sunset on Saturday, May 15. The re-opening date is still to be determined, according to a press release from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. “While the statutory opening date for the […]

Island Agenda

Daily • Port Aransas Community Park Swimming Pool, 700 Clark Pkwy. Open: Tuesday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; $2 person. The pool is operating at 50 percent capacity. Tuesday-Saturday, Lap and exercise swim, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Open swim, Tuesday-Sunday, 1-5 p.m. Closed Monday. • Port Aransas Art Center, Classes, workshops,104 N. Alister St., 749-7334. Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., […]

Former mayors talk about election

The South Jetty asked four former mayors what the recent Port Aransas City Council election results mean for the direction the city might take in the next few years, and if the results represent a desire by the community for a change in direction. Seven candidates sought election to three positions, only one of which fielded an incumbent. In Place […]

Police to conduct more traffic patrols

The Port Aransas Police Department will be using extra patrols to curb traffic violations this summer, according to Chief Scott Burroughs. Beginning on Saturday, May 15, officers who volunteered or were assigned will be part of the program called Selective Traffic Enforcement Patrols (STEP), which will go until the week of Labor Day. With help from the annual $10,000 the […]

The best

Port Aransas High School has been ranked the No. 1 high school in the Corpus Christi area, according to the data-based media company U.S. News & World Report. Some of the factors that led to the ranking are a reading proficiency at 94 percent, mathematics at 95 percent and a graduate rate of 98 percent, according to the U.S. News […]

He’s out!

Port Aransas High School Marlins player Austin Bepko tags out a Freer player at third base on Friday, May 7. Port Aransas beat Freer in dramatic fashion to take the bi-district championship. (Details are on Page 5B.) Subscribe Purchase Single Issue The full version of this story will be available to all readers after 2 weeks. Full versions of news stories from […]

Pile of paella

Luz Loza and Vince Parrinni, both of Paella Lovers United of Austin, prepare a big pot of paella at Farley Boat Works on Friday, May 7. The dish included shrimp, chicken, pork sausage, mussels, calamari rings, Spanish chorizo, corn, artichokes, peas, greenbeans, onions, garlic and lots more. It was cooked up for an event for Port Aransas Preservation and Historical […]

Advertisement

Click to visit TwinLiquors.com Click to visit SARiverwalk.com Click to visit TexasCoastalBend.com/contact